The Historic Wilmington Foundation honored the winners of the organization's 2023 Preservation Awards on May 18 at the historic New Hanover County Courthouse.
The following are some of the winners, with descriptions from HWF:
THE EAGLE’S DARE (420 N. 3RD ST.): Joseph Apkarian | Nigel White & Billy Forbis, Rumble Williams Construction | Rob Romero, Romero Architecture | Morgan Dail, Deeply Rooted Interiors | Huffines, Boneyard Garage. "The adaptive reuse of the c. 1970 service station into The Eagle’s Dare was led by entrepreneur Joseph Apkarian, owner of Pour House and co-owner of Taco Baby. The project team included Nigel White and Billy Forbis (Rumble Williams Construction), Rob Romero (Romero Architecture), Morgan Dail (Deeply Rooted Interiors), and Kyle Huffines (Boneyard Garage). The Eagle’s Dare bridges the gap between the central business district with the historic Brooklyn neighborhood. By adaptively-reusing the service station, the project team preserved one of downtown Wilmington’s few offerings of mid-century modern architecture. Inside, the decor and salvaged materials continue the mid-century theme. Today, The Eagle’s Dare visually anchors the northern entryway into the Wilmington Historic District."
BOTTLE WORKS (921 PRINCESS ST.): "The adaptive reuse of the Coca-Cola bottling facility was conceived by Andrew Hewitt and Sandy Thorpe of Parastream Development. The project team included Coast Capital Partners, BMH Architecture, DSA Engineering, and Monteith Construction. Parastream Development is revitalizing more than 7 acres of land in downtown Wilmington as the “Soda Pop District.” Their project includes the adaptive reuse of several historic buildings, including the c. 1945 Buick Oldsmobile Dealership, which received a 2021 Preservation Award. The Bottle Works Building is approximately 74,000 square feet and is described as an urban-flex warehouse. The building’s tenants include Patriot Roofing & Exteriors, Beach & Barn, and even vendor markets. Parastream Development’s preservation efforts in the Soda Pop District re-establish integrity into buildings excluded from the Wilmington Historic District."
FERMENTAL BEER & WINE (600 S. 17TH ST.): Kristen & Steve Gibbs | John Riggs | Jay Dilley, Real Properties. "Owners Kristen and Steve Gibbs are credited with initiating the adaptive reuse of the c. 1955 Crown Service Station into Fermental Beer & Wine. The project team included Jay Dilley with Real Properties and contractor John Riggs. Construction successfully refitted the property for its current use while maintaining the integrity of the Art Moderne service station by preserving its design, workmanship, and materials. During construction, the original blueprints of the service station were discovered and are now on display in Fermental. Thanks to the commitment of the Gibbs and Real Properties, this property continues to contribute to the historic significance and integrity of the Westbrook-Ardmore Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 2009."
415 ORANGE ST.: Homeowners Marcia and Sean Frelke rehabilitated the Susan B. Moore House, built in 1905 in the National Folk style. "During the rehabilitation, wood rot and window deterioration were addressed by replacing like-for-like. The sensitive approach to this rehabilitation preserved the architectural integrity of the house and contributed to the recent revitalization of the 400 block of Orange Street."
1407 LIVE OAK PARKWAY: Bruce Cassidy. "The rehabilitation of this Georgian Revival house (c. 1926) included such work as repairing gutters and downspouts causing water damage, repairing the garage roof that sustained hurricane damage, as well as the replacement of the porch roof membrane, balustrades, and several columns. The rehabilitation also featured mold removal, and the interior floors were refinished. A special thank you is warranted to Rothwell Simmons, owner of Carolina Custom Tile NC, who completed tile work but also lent a hand on other work when help was sorely needed."
GRAYSTONE INN (100 S. THIRD ST.): Urban Building Corp | Element Outdoor Living | Dogwood Repairs and Renovations, LLC| Hipp Architecture & Development, PC | Illuminate Electrical Services. "The rehabilitation of the 1906 Elizabeth H. Bridgers Mansion (known today as the Graystone Inn) was completed by Urban Building Corporation, Element Outdoor Living, Dogwood Repairs & Renovations, LLC, Hipp Architecture & Development, PC, and Illuminate Electrical Services. The scope of work included intensive cleaning of the brownstone exterior of the mansion, which brightened the facade and contributed to the stone’s continued maintenance. A major rehabilitation of the property’s gardens was also completed. The landscaping added green space to downtown Wilmington by removing an impervious driveway and replacing it with gardens. All together, the rehabilitation project increased site lines and accessibility to this staple of the Wilmington Historic District."
614 QUEEN ST.: "Shameem and John Ravelli rehabilitated this Folk Victorian cottage—replacing the standing-seam, metal roof and addressing wood rot on the building’s envelope. The Ravelli’s replaced like-for-like by respecting the variety of siding materials, including German shiplap siding. Restoration of the cottage’s porch posts and folk Victorian brackets re-introduced pieces of the building’s architecture back into the façade, which greatly improved the cottage’s integrity."
319 N. 7TH ST.: "Built in 1888, this historic home was in a sad state of neglect and disrepair when Bellewood Group acquired the property in December of January 2021. Bellewood Group is a small family team consisting of Jake Dubinski (general contractor), Phil Fish (real estate), and Tori Dubinski Fish (designer). The home was historically used as a private practice office for local African American doctor Leroy Upperman. The rehabilitation of the property focused on returning the home back to a single-family residence, as it had been converted to a duplex at one time. Both inside and out, the design choices reflected historically appropriate material choices. The rehabilitation team took great care with all the millwork in the home, including the crown moldings, window trim work, and the operating transom windows above the interior doors. Where historic items could not be salvaged, appropriate modern pieces were brought in, including a refinished claw foot tub."
1614 DOCK ST.: "Landon Biehl and Matt Rhoney of New Wave Homes rehabilitated this c. 1920 bungalow in the Westbrook-Ardmore Historic District. The project included a full restoration of the historic, wood windows. Each window was brought back to working condition by the homeowners by dissecting the weight-and-rope systems and restoring the mechanisms. Wood rot was addressed on the building’s siding, which was preserved as wood, German shiplap siding. The bungalow’s porch posts and beadboard in the soffits and porch ceilings were replaced like-for-like. Materials found at Legacy Architectural Salvage were utilized in the rehabilitation of the historic bungalow."
418 S. 5TH AVE.: "In November of 2021, Karen and Michael Strittmatter purchased the condemned home at 418 S. 5th Avenue, which had sat vacant for the last four years. With the help of Addis Construction, they quickly set to work on the rehabilitation project, converting the 1913 building from a duplex back to its original use as a single-family home. "The house was taken down to the original frame and foundation, and the HVAC, plumbing, and electricity were fully rehabilitated. Leveling the house was a challenge—but a major improvement! A new metal roof was installed, and all salvageable windows were restored. The original wood flooring was kept, with rotted/missing boards being replaced with historic wood flooring from Legacy Architectural Salvage. As for the home’s exterior, the original wood clapboard siding was utilized for the majority of the house."
REAVES CHAPEL (2024 CEDAR HILL RD NE, LELAND): "Reaves Chapel’s origins date to the 1860s when the chapel was located on a plantation along the Cape Fear River. Later, the congregation relocated the church a mile inland to its present location on Cedar Hill Road. In 2019, the Coastal Land Trust purchased the church and began restoration efforts, in partnership with the Cedar Hill/West Bank Heritage Foundation. Balding Design Build has served as the project’s general contractor. The scope of work included: lifting the structure to repair the masonry foundation, restoration of the steeple (removed and replaced during the project), and restoration of the stained glass windows (now protected by covers). Interior restrooms were removed to restore the church to its original floor plan. Once complete, the historic church will be turned over to North Carolina for operation as a new State Historic Site interpreting the history of the Gullah Geechee culture."
Find the complete list on Historic Wilmington Foundation's website.
Cece Nunn - Sep 28, 2023
Woody White - Sep 29, 2023
Cece Nunn - Sep 29, 2023
Audrey Elsberry - Sep 29, 2023
Valves, fishing equipment and tactical gear make the list...
HR company works to provide other companies with human resources solutions....
A gallery, swimwear and handmade leather goods create buzz...