Do you ever find yourself wondering how your community association (sometimes called homeowner’s association or HOA) works? Who makes the decisions about what happens in your community? The answer is the board of directors. The board is a group of elected residents who volunteer their time to make sure the community runs smoothly. If you’re thinking about running for the board, here are five reasons to consider it.
A professional community management company can help.
- You want to make a difference in your community.Being a board member of your community association is an excellent way to give back and make a difference in your neighborhood. Not only will you be part of making key decisions, but you’ll also have the chance to shape how life runs within the community. Being a board member requires problem-solving skills and qualities such as responsibility and dedication to meet the community’s needs. In addition,
your willingness to serve can help set a positive example for community members.
- You want to get involved and enjoy meeting new people.Serving on your community association’s board is a great way for anyone to become more involved in their neighborhood. Participation opens the door to meeting people from various backgrounds, exchanging ideas, and having conversations about topics that benefit the community. At the end of the day, all it really takes to become one is dedication and enthusiasm. And it doesn’t hurt if you have access to top-notch educational resources along the way.
- You have a positive mindset and enjoy solving problems.Do you have a positive outlook and naturally enjoy solving different issues? If so, a role on your board of directors might be the perfect opportunity for you. As a board member, there will be many chances to take on new challenges while also assisting in improving the community. In addition, engaging with other members and striving to create a successful community could be that much easier when bringing a mindset of innovation and problem-solving.
- If you’re good at planning, you can help shape the future of your community as a board member.Being intricately involved in your community governance and having a major say in decisions are two great benefits of holding a position on your community’s board. Having experience with creative planning is also key to making disciplined, informed decisions and implementing effective policies that foster growth and success within your community. Are you a person who is prone to looking ahead and foreseeing possible scenarios? Use that aptitude to help determine the best course for your community.
- You’re ready for the time commitment and job responsibilities.A successful board member should be ready to take on the time, commitment, and hard work that comes with being in a leadership position. While being on the board can be a rewarding experience, it requires patience, flexibility, communication skills, maturity, and a desire to do what is best for your community. So, before deciding whether to begin your HOA board membership journey, think about whether you are truly ready for this job's highs and lows.
Though getting involved and helping your neighbors sounds wonderful, it may also seem daunting. But, if you work with a community management company, many of the burdens of being a board member can be taken off your plate. Management companies can handle communication, coordinating repairs, financial records, meetings, and more. Before volunteering to serve as a board member, consider whether your community’s current management company will strongly advocate for you and your fellow board members.
If you’re looking for a way to get more involved in your community and make a difference, consider becoming a board member. Board members play an important role in shaping the future of their communities, and they have the opportunity to impact the lives of all residents positively. By becoming a board member, you can help make your community an excellent place to live for years to come.
About Community Association Management Services
In business for over 32 years, CAMS is North and South Carolina’s premier community management company. With experienced local managers in each of its nine regions, CAMS is dedicated to providing innovative solutions to the community associations it serves. Additionally, CAMS was featured on Inc. Magazine’s 2022 Inc. 5000 list of the fastest-growing private companies in America. To learn more, visit www.camsmgt.com/choose-cams