Some people are born with style. For others, it’s a skill they learn along the way. No matter which camp you belong to, one thing is certain: Style can be bought, and that’s a good thing! It means there’s hope for all of us.
If you think appearances aren’t important, all you have to do is invite your boss over for dinner or put your home on the market. Suddenly, the value of a good first impression is clear. If you’re worried your home isn’t up to snuff, we have good news. While we can’t give you the winning lottery numbers or lead you to a pot of gold, we can help your home look like a million bucks. All you have to do is read the following tips, and you’ll be living a life of luxury in no time.
- Upgrade Your Bedding. The center of your master suite is the bed, so give it the attention it deserves. It doesn’t matter what kind of frame you have – anything from a Japanese style platform to an elaborate canopy will look classier and more comfortable when you upgrade your bedding. Layer your bed with silky fabrics and sumptuous accessories, and shop for a high-end look at discount retailers or during online sales to save a few bucks. You’ll soon be sleeping in the bed of your dreams.
- Give Your Linens Some Love. Upgrading your kitchen cabinets can be an expensive and time-consuming project. Upgrading your dishtowels, tablecloth and curtains, on the other hand, is much more affordable and can have almost as much impact. Trade out your old rags for matching tea towels, invest in some new potholders, and toss a silky tablecloth over your dining room table. The difference will be immediate.
- Accessories Are Your Best Friends. When you’re tired of your current look, you don’t rush out for Botox or a facelift. Instead, you cut and color your hair, buy a new dress, or change up your shade of lipstick. You should use the same logic with your living room. Instead of replacing your couch or knocking down a wall, invest in a set of beautiful pillows, a brightly patterned throw rug, or a gorgeous vase for fresh flowers. These small touches can serve as a beautiful distraction while you save for bigger projects or a new home.
- Can’t We All Just Get A Lawn? We all long for a lush lawn that’s green year-round and feels soft beneath our feet. Some of us are able to achieve this with a sprinkler and a little luck, while others are not so fortunate. If your front lawn is patchy and brown, or has suffered one too many thirsty summers, reviving it can feel like an impossible task. If you can’t wait any longer – you’re hosting a wedding or a baby shower, or your house is about to go on the market – then you should probably consider sod. While this can be expensive, it’s the fastest way to get the beautiful front lawn you’ve always wanted.
- Bust Out the Good Stuff. Too often we reserve our wedding china for Christmas and Thanksgiving, and we only buy bouquets for anniversaries and Valentine’s Day. It’s time we broke these habits. Consider this permission to bust out the good stuff as often as you like. Eat your Friday night pizza on fine china. Buy a dozen red roses just because it’s Wednesday, and place them in your best crystal vase. Living a life of luxury means enjoying the things you have, so don’t hide them away. That goes double for putting your house on the market. Setting your table with a few tasteful and expensive items will make a bigger impact that a full spread of sub-par pieces.
It doesn’t matter if you’re selling your home, moving into a new space, or simply trying to upgrade your current lifestyle without breaking the bank. We all deserve beautiful, comfortable homes that make us feel like we’re rich and famous. If you enjoyed this advice, make sure to follow Network Real Estate on Facebook
. We love sharing tips for a happier, more beautiful life, and making our clients dreams come true.
Neal Johnson is a CMCA, CRB, CNE and GRI-certified, licensed real estate broker at Network Real Estate, which has exclusively served a high volume of property sales and purchases in the greater Wilmington area for more than 30 years. With offices at College Road, Historic Downtown and Pleasure Island, Network’s brokers are widespread and well-versed in this marketplace, making Network a preferred real estate company for first-home buyers and beyond.