Print
Retail

Athletic Shoe Store Opening Second Location In Wilmington

By Cece Nunn, posted Jan 14, 2022
Michelle Fogle opened Fleet Feet at The Forum in 2014 and plans to open a second location in Wilmington this year. (Photo courtesy of Fleet Feet)
The owner of an athletic shoe and gear store franchise in Wilmington is opening a second location in a shopping center at Independence Boulevard and Carolina Beach Road.

Michelle Fogle, who opened Fleet Feet at The Forum on Military Cutoff Road in 2014, has leased space in The Crossroads at Independence. The center, which is currently under construction, is set to be anchored by one of the largest Harris Teeter grocery stores in North Carolina.

Fogle said the decision to open another Fleet Feet location in the Port City was based on a number of factors, including her existing store's growth, upcoming roadway projects that could make it harder for drivers to get from one end of town to the other in coming years and the continued growth of Wilmington.  

"With that Harris Teeter being built there as a really, really strong anchor tenant, it just seemed like the perfect fit to be able to better service our customers in Wilmington and the greater Wilmington community by getting a second location open in that part of town," Fogle said.

Founded in California in 1976, Fleet Feet is known as a running shoe and gear store but isn't limited to serving the needs of runners.

Fogle said, "40% of our customers would identify as runners and then the other 60% identify more as avid walkers, people who work out, people who are on their feet all day for work ... then we get a good chunk of what we would call more that medical customer so anyone that's having foot issues, knees, back issues where their doctor, podiatrist, PT recommends that they get fitted for an insert or a well-made and good-fitting pair of walking/running shoes for their daily use."

She said she hopes to open the new store this year, possibly by May.

As for future growth, Fogle said, "We'll kind of see how this second location gets rooted and where it goes before I make any other growth decisions."
Ico insights

INSIGHTS

SPONSORS' CONTENT
Jessiepowellheadshot webversion

5 Reasons to Build Custom Franchise Software

Jessie Powell - Wide Open Tech
Junegunter teachinghorse headshot 5721115557

What Is Next?

June Gunter - TeachingHorse
Brookeskipper saltair headshot2

Improving Indoor Air Quality Requires a Systematic Approach

Brooke Skipper - Salt Air

Trending News

Galleria Property On Wrightsville Ave. Sold For $37.5M

Cece Nunn - Aug 10, 2022

Leland Town Center Lands New Tenant; Lowe’s Begins Construction

Johanna F. Still - Aug 10, 2022

Pipeline Poke Headed To Autumn Hall

Elizabeth White - Aug 10, 2022

Rachael Ray, Emeril Lagasse To Appear At GLOW Event

Justin Williams Pope - Aug 10, 2022

New Biz Creations In Cape Fear Region Continue Strong Trend

Johanna F. Still - Aug 9, 2022

In The Current Issue

Film On Rebound; New Horse Enters Race

New soundstages in Wilmington are set to be constructed toward the end of the year – marking activity that appears hasn’t happened since the...


Borrowers Seek Adjustable-rate Perks

During recent years when interest rates were at rock-bottom levels, borrowers have kept adjustable-rate mortgages at arm’s length. But now,...


Beach Equipment Rentals Sizzle

For some beachgoers, their perfect day is lazing on the shore, soaking up rays. For others, it’s water sports or maybe biking alongside the...

Book On Business

The 2022 WilmingtonBiz: Book on Business is an annual publication showcasing the Wilmington region as a center of business.

Order Your Copy Today!


Galleries

Videos

Trying to Grow a Business?
2020 Health Care Heroes
2020 WilmingtonBiz 100