As the saying goes, there are only two things that are certain in life: death and taxes. While that may be true, I would just have to add that energy costs are also likely to be around for a long time, at least in the near future. Finding ways to save money on heating and cooling costs, water and electricity is always going to be important.
With that in mind, here are a few strategies that can be easily implemented to improve the energy efficiency of your home:
- Sealing and Insulation – Ensuring that all the ducts and pipes are properly sealed is an effective way to keep the hot and cold air where you want it. Make sure doors and windows seal well and have someone check the ductwork for leaks or breaks. It is also worthwhile to check interior wall insulation, ceiling and attic insulation. Even ducts and pipes need to be adequately sealed if maintaining a comfortable indoor air environment and simultaneously realizing a significant cost savings sound appealing to you.
- Solar Power and Cool Roofs – Seeking out an alternative power source or a different way to heat and cool your home is another way to improve its efficiency. For those who live in sunny areas, utilizing solar panels could potentially be a great way to help cut costs. A cool roof has a design that reflects more sunlight and absorbs less heat than a standard roof. Cool roofs can be made of a highly reflective type of paint, a sheet covering, or highly reflective tiles or shingles.
- Geothermal Services – Having a geothermal system installed could be a great way to achieve a cost savings for both heating and cooling your home. One of our technicians is geothermal certified, so we can work with nature to heat and cool your home. With a geothermal heat pump, hot and cool air are transferred to and from the ground to be used as a heat source in winter or a heat sink in summer.
- Meter Placement – Surprisingly, something as simple as where an electric meter is located can make a difference in the amount energy you use. A recent study showed that people who looked at their meter more frequently achieved a significant reduction in costs, compared to those who didn’t. Understanding that the more often we see the energy meter climbing, it just makes sense (and cents) that we will be more concerned with the costs. Here at Green Dot we recently added an electrical services division as an aspect of our commitment to provide our clients with a comprehensive array of services, so if you have a question about your energy costs or a problem with the electrical system in your home we are ready to help.
- Trees – Plant trees on your property. Of course, this may take a while as you need trees to grow to truly benefit from them; however some species grow faster than others. Consider placing trees around the larger windows to provide shade from the sun during the hottest parts of the day. The leaves will keep some of the heat away from windows and siding, but this may not be desirable in the wintertime. For that reason a deciduous variety may be the way to go, as these will allow the sunlight through in the winter when the leaves are down.
- Water Collection – Finding a way to use the water that naturally falls from the sky can be a way to achieve a savings in costs. Consider installing a rain barrel at the bottom of one or two or the downspouts that come from the roof. While this won’t reduce your electricity bill, it could potentially reduce the need to water your lawn, as well as providing enough water for your garden, flowers, and more.
Once installed, all of these strategies can significantly reduce the costs of maintaining a comfortable home. In many areas, there are tax rebates for installing alternative means of power production, so this is something that should also be considered.
For a consultation about installing a geothermal system or other strategies for improving your home’s efficiency, please call 910-791-0480, text 910-612-0052, or email [email protected]
Chris Jones and the team at Green Dot HVAC are committed to provide their clients with a consultative, transparent approach, driven by innovative technology and a diligent work ethic. With a team of highly trained and versatile technicians, a focus on helping clients make informed decisions, and a commitment to deliver substantial value, Green Dot HVAC is a leader in the Southeast North Carolina marketplace. To arrange a free at-home consultation, a repair/installation or simply find guidance about the nuances of modern heating and air conditioning systems, call 910-791-0480 or text 910-612-0052.